Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you don't like what you see click the Report button!
Read More...
BARGES: All about barges and barging - building, buying, maintaining, equipment, handling on the water, etc.
  • Page:

TOPIC: BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 23:26 #109125

Denis:

I looked at your latest photo again and thought about your comment on cleaning the clutch plates. Although your clutch plate housing is "bell shaped" it appears to be similar to mine in that the aft end is somewhat open with a slot between the bell housing and the center nut plate that slides forward to engage the clutches. if there is no drain plug for this area to empty any gunk in there perhaps you can use a vacuum pump oil remover to get anything out that will come out and then pour in some paraffin (diesel oil should also work), run the engine in neutral to move the stuff around and clean the plates and then suck out the cleaning liquid and refill with oil as indicated in the manual. Your on-site guru may see that this won't work with your unit as I can't get a good lock at the back of the clutch housing from the photos you sent but it may be worth a look. I sent along a private message with more commentary. the side view cutaway diagram in the manual may shed some light on this idea.

Cheers

Tom

Please Log in to join the conversation.

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 13:18 #109106

• Denis M-Baker
  • Denis M-Baker's Avatar Topic Author
Hi Tom,

My unit does not have that threaded bar, but it does have what looks like an adjusting bolt on top of the unit. I will take a look at that on my next trip to the barge.

Thanks,

Denis.
Attachments:

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 12:39 #109105

Here is a photo of the linkage set up on my unit.
Attachments:

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 12:37 #109104

Denis:

That is not a problem. The only manual I have is the one I tried to send to you on an earlier reply. I have attached it again in case it did not come through before. Based on your feedback, I would look at the shift linkage adjustment. Does your set up have a threaded section of the linkage to allow fine adjustments? My installation is a combination of cable and hard linkage so I can make those adjustments easily.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 12:21 #109102

• Denis M-Baker
Hi Tom,

My unit is slipping all of the time, when in forward gear. There is minimal contact which results in the shaft turning at crawling pace.
Thank you, you are helping me home-in on the problem. Would you have a manual for the forward gear by any chance? I have emailed STORK also to see if they have anything available.

I will keep you posted on progress.

Regards,

Denis.

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 12:06 #109100

Denis:

Your model Brevo is slightly different than mine in the middle section. Otherwise it appears to be the same. I can see one of the drain ports on the last of the three photos. the center section on your unit is the area of difference as mine has a cylindrical shape and your unit is a bell shaped housing. If your unit is slipping, my first thought would be that the clutch disk area in that center section is the culprit. Can you see a drain plug anywhere in that part of the transmission? You can see in the cross section in the manual for the 101-112 models has that feature. That is the area they say to clean with parafin or denatured petrol regularly.

The other possibility is the adjustment of the linkage that moves the nut - arm assembly (see text on page 4 below the drawing ) is not correct and it is not engaging the clutch plates fully. Does the unit slip at idle of only under heavier load? Between these two possibilities, there is not much else it could be. Let me know what you think and we can discuss further.

Tom

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 11:43 #109099

Denis M-Baker wrote: I couldn't figure out how to add pics to a personal message on the forum

It is not possible to add pics to a PM. Sorry!

FM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denis M-Baker

Feedback is always welcome here - or by PM (click on the speech-bubble at the left)

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 29 Aug 2019 11:26 #109098

• Denis M-Baker
Hi Tom,

I couldn't figure out how to add pics to a personal message on the forum so here are pics of my Brevo clutch.

Thanks,

Denis.
Attachments:

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 19 Aug 2019 18:31 #108862

• Denis M-Baker
Simon, Mine is a Lister 4-cylinder which I believe is the JK.

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 19 Aug 2019 17:23 #108859

Are these Lister JP engines? I've just removed our barges JP3M and am installing a JK4 with an Advance Gearbox MA142.

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 19 Aug 2019 11:08 #108837

Denis:

One thing I did not mention and my photographs did not show are the drain/fill plugs on the clutch drum and the reversing drum. They are oriented 180 degrees apart so that you can open both to drain and clean each area and then fill with the appropriate lubricant if needed. Check you unit to see if they are installed.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Tom
Attachments:

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 19 Aug 2019 10:01 #108830

• Denis M-Baker
Hi Thomas,
Many thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to take a couple of days to review the attachments you have sent and get back to you then.
Much appreciated,
Denis.

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 19 Aug 2019 08:07 #108822

Denis:

I believe that I may be of assistance. My barge has a JP4/Brevo drivetrain. I have found it to be a super set up that I would not trade in for a hydraulic tranny for the world. From looking at the photo you provided, it appears that you have a similar unit. As information Stork pumps now owns Brevo and do offer repair support if needed. Check out the Stork website for more information.

I also have a brief install, adjustment and maintenance manual for this family of units that I have attached along with a photo of my installation. Based on your comments, I would review the section of the manual on cleaning the clutch plates with paraffin/diesel. If you would like to discuss anything else, we can take this offline.
Attachments:

BREVO clutch/ drive unit - Slipping 19 Aug 2019 02:51 #108815

• Denis M-Baker
Hi folks,
I bought a Dutch sand barge earlier this year, she has a lister 4 cylinder engine with a BREVO box which engages forward or reverse via a lever by the tiller.
I want to know does anyone have any information on this old BREVO box as I can't find anything online. She is Slipping when warm and either needs adjustment or relining.
Any leads would be a great help.
Thanks in advance,
Denis Baker.
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: Pete_Milne
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds