Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you don't like what you see click the Report button!
Read More...
BARGES: All about barges and barging - building, buying, maintaining, equipment, handling on the water, etc.
  • Page:

TOPIC: New generator impeller, now not sucking water

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 22 Aug 2019 22:29 #108922

• Pete_Milne
  • Away
Peter,

I'm delighted to hear the success. I burned out an impeller once by forgetting to open the inlet when tired. I spent ages picking the bits out of the heat exchanger. Not a great experience!

Please update the Suppliers Directory with Bayard's details - and add a separate review. Then the information will be permanently readily available to other members.

Thanks,
Pete

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pete Milne, Quo Vadis , Europe

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 22 Aug 2019 22:22 #108921

• Peter Court
  • Peter Court's Avatar Topic Author
Mechanic was Patrick Bayard from Gardouch, 30km south from Toulouse. Very happy with his responsiveness and multiple visits, quick part obtaining and overall resolution. Business card attached
Attachments:

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 22 Aug 2019 22:13 #108920

• Peter Court
Thanks all for your suggestions. Now working, no leaks. My mechanic removed front of heat exchanger and removed a broken vane. Also installed a new gasket that matched more exactly the existing from a new impeller which came with 2 very similar but subtley different. Previous new impeller only had one gasket not quite right. There was also a small metal ring/washer that fitted to the original impeller moved to the new one.

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 22 Aug 2019 20:40 #108919

• Paul Hayes
  • Away
Hi Balliol

Can I add one;

Incorrect size shaft seal installed, or correct one installed but incorrectly. Therefore allowing air to be sucked in past it, so no vacuum created to lift water from the seacock. Same result as ill fitting cover plate or problem with the gasket.

I've seen shaft seals put in backwards before.

Paul Hayes

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 22 Aug 2019 15:54 #108916

• John Wilson
  • Away
In the unlikely event of Balliol's suggestions not working, you could get in touch with Chris Baker at Fischer Panda UK, (00441202 820 840). He has been most helpful in the past when I have had problems with my genny.

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 22 Aug 2019 07:56 #108912

• Balliol Fowden
  • Away
Yes, if you have a source of water then work through the system from the inlet to make sure it is clear, blowing both ways. A little bit of pressure in the system might also reveal any leak on the suction side or in the pump that might be preventing it re-priming. You could also try a running prime with the hose, but do not leave the hose on when the engine is not running or you could flood the engine.

Balliol.

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 22 Aug 2019 01:44 #108910

• Peter Court
Thanks Balliol, as always you are most helpful. Is it worth trying to apply mains pressure water to the raw water outlet of the heat exchanger to blow back bits of impeller blades ?
And to see if mains pressure to pump inlet hose produces a flow / primes the raw water circuit ?
Peter

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 21 Aug 2019 23:50 #108908

• Balliol Fowden
  • Away
Prime ( no pun) possibilities :

Inlet sea cock closed.

Inlet strainer blocked.

Inlet line blocked/ kinked.

Pump cover gasket not perfectly sealed (pump will not prime).

Damaged pump shaft seal(?).

Remnants of old impeller blocking pump body or hoses.

If the pump has to lift water then the slightest leak in the cover gasket or shaft seal may stop it self-priming.

Balliol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Mossman

New generator impeller, now not sucking water 21 Aug 2019 21:19 #108905

• Peter Court
We developed a leak at the back of our raw water pump on Fischer Panda 14kw Genny. (Kubota D700 series engine). Had a mechanic visit in Toulouse today and he replaced the shaft water seal , put a new impeller in ( one broken vane, one bent), new this pre season. ( About 250hrs since). And no leak, but also no water being pumped. Coming back tomorrow to look harder, but what are likely suggestions? Was pumping water fine till now, just leaking about 1 to 2 litres per hr running, last 3 or 4 days

• Page:
Moderators: Pete_Milne
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds