Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you don't like what you see click the Report button!
Read More...
Info about unscheduled stoppages, hazards and exceptional waterway levels, anywhere.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Briare and Loing canal closures

Briare and Loing canal closures 19 Aug 2019 12:54 #108842

• Cliff Bartlett
  • Cliff Bartlett's Avatar Topic Author
Andrew - Not in Briare at the mo. Our return is a tad delayed this year and won't be until 10th September. Officially VNF are saying the canal is estimated to be closed until March 2020! But my guess is that they are saying this because they have to put some date and it'll depend on when and how much rain they get, so they're hedging their bets. In the scheme of things I'd say there's a reasonable chance there'll have had sufficient rain by mid/end of October... but who knows? Could be November...or December!!
There's rain about at the moment - but not a lot I think and the ground is very dry. It's anyone's guess. Perhaps best to hunker down and look happy. ATB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Briare and Loing canal closures 19 Aug 2019 10:43 #108835

Hi Cliff. Yes, I remember you well :-). Seems like a long time ago now!
Are you staying on your boat in Briare? I wonder what the chances are of VNF making it possible to reach the aqueduct to be able to join the Lateral a la Loire in the last few weeks of the season. That is the only way we will be able to make it to Decize where we have a winter mooring booked. Have you heard any rumours?

Briare and Loing canal closures 19 Aug 2019 10:36 #108833

Thanks we are awaiting a reply from Cerise but expect to go east then north to find somewhere.

Briare and Loing canal closures 19 Aug 2019 10:26 #108831

• Cliff Bartlett
In your position I'd 'go North, young man'! There's Port Aux Cerises on the Seine - but it's not cheap and with the hiatus of canal closures very likely full for winter. You can but ask. Further south from there all the Haltes/Ports/Marinas are on the river and I'm not that brave to leave my boat there all winter unattended. So.… I'd go North.

Briare and Loing canal closures 19 Aug 2019 07:39 #108817

Hi we are in Paris area desperate now because of canal closure and unable to get to home port Roanne. Any winter mooring suggestions. We are 14.8 m.

Briare and Loing canal closures 16 Aug 2019 12:32 #108725

Hi Eric,
I can confirm, as you say, that the Capitain David has written to those booked at Briare to say that access won't be possible after August 18. We came up the Rhone-Saone last year, and stopped for lengthy visits at Avignon and Lyon - Lyon would be the better of the two, but there's not a lot of space in the port off the river. Between them is L'Ardoise, up a short side-arm, which could be ok for winter. The Port de PLaisance at Macon would also be fine, if they have a spot. Then there's Pont-de-Vaux, up a short canal off the Saone after Macon, with a small port. We're currently at St Jean de Losne, without a prop and in the drydock; fortunately Blanquart Yachting is going to take us on for winter, though I know they're under pressure from extra requests for a place. We, like you, were supposed to go to Briare. Instead, we're going home early, at the end of the month.

Briare and Loing canal closures 15 Aug 2019 18:59 #108701

• Cliff Bartlett
Andrew - Yes , well... that's the joy of cruising I guess. You just don't know what's around the corner!
BTW, I remember you now. We rafted against you at Moret for a wee while and had your berth when you left (for which we thank you). And our ever-lovings are Wobbing about , as they do. Is that a verb???

Briare and Loing canal closures 15 Aug 2019 18:07 #108695

I can think of worse places to be marooned. It's disappointing as we were looking forward to another couple of months cruising, but hardly the end of the world. Our boat is a widebeam called NouNou. Moored in front of the restaurants on the left just after you come through the lock into the post.

Briare and Loing canal closures 15 Aug 2019 18:04 #108694

I'm waiting for a response from him to an email.

Briare and Loing canal closures 15 Aug 2019 16:36 #108692

Hi we are booked to winter at Briare and have received notification from David that the port is closed and we should apply for our deposit to be returned 😢 the search is on where do we go we are coming up the Rhône/saone???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Bailey

Kindest regards Eric

Briare and Loing canal closures 15 Aug 2019 16:01 #108691

• Peter Cawson
  • Away
> If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

I presume you've contacted the harbour master at Briare. He is surely your prime source of good information.

Peter

Briare and Loing canal closures 15 Aug 2019 15:34 #108690

• Cliff Bartlett
Andrew, - I'm not there either at the moment but, like you perhaps, have received an Avis advising of closure next Monday and also an email from Davide, the Capitaine, advising the same. So, on the face of it, we are both stuck there until there is significant precipitation. Fortunately it is our home port, so for us not such a difficult situation. If you haven't already done so I would suggest you commence discussions with Davide about a prolonged stay. After all... while you can't get out - others can't get in, so he might be amenable.
It's not such a bad place to winter.....

Briare and Loing canal closures 15 Aug 2019 14:32 #108688

Our boat is currently moored in Briare. We are planning to return in early September to travel to Decize where we will leave her for the winter. I am concerned that the closure of the Briare will make it impossible to make our way up the short branch to cross the aqueduct leading to the Lateral a la Loire. If anyone has any information on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Briare and Loing canal closures 12 Aug 2019 17:47 #108604

Yes Cliff: I also received news from the VNF that the Canal de Briare August 18th at 7 or 8 pm that night.
Canal du Loing between Montargis and Nemours the same August 18 @ 8 pm . bob jones

Briare and Loing canal closures 11 Aug 2019 16:51 #108545

Thanks cliff
We are a 18 meter luxe motor type boat yes livaboards we haven’t started on the Rhône yet just waiting for guests to go then we start
Thanking you once again fair winds

Kindest regards Eric

Briare and Loing canal closures 11 Aug 2019 15:12 #108541

• Cliff Bartlett
Eric
I know not what your boat is or where on the Rhone you are, but regardless, as the Canal de Centre is currently closed from the Soane and the Briare canal closes at end of play on the 18th August you're almost certain not to make it - until it rains a goodly bit more. If you're a 12 month liveaboard I guess you could hole up somewhere on the Rhone/Saone until the levels are back up, but otherwise I'd think you'd best be looking for an alternative winter mooring.
Bon Chance
Cliff

Briare and Loing canal closures 10 Aug 2019 19:10 #108511

Hi and thank you for the info we are at present near to the bottom of the Rhône on our way up to hopefully winter in Briare any information you have will be gratefully received thanks in advance
Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Jones

Kindest regards Eric

Briare and Loing canal closures 10 Aug 2019 14:20 #108504

We live close to Briare and will help monitor the activity where we can. Thanks for the post
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric Stott

Briare and Loing canal closures 09 Aug 2019 16:32 #108469

• Cliff Bartlett
Just had Avis FR/2019/04232 advising closure of the Briare canal from PK 0.0 to Ecluse Bruges pk 56.769 from 19.00hrs on 18th August. Similar (FR/2019/04251) for the Loing canal from 20.00hrs from Ecluse de Cepoy Pk0.0 to Pk 30.148 Ecluse de Buttes
Also reduced depths
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Swift, Robert Jones

• Page:
Moderators: Bob MarslandPete_Milne
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds