Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you don't like what you see click the Report button!
Read More...
Navigating and living on the waterways of Continental Europe and news of canal developments.
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Loire at Decize in the Autumn?

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 16 Aug 2019 10:43 #108724

• Balliol Fowden
  • Away
Thanks Cliff, perhaps it wasn't just me on a bad morning then! Sorry to hear you had a similar problem.

Thinking about it after I posted I think that the main problem was that there was indeed a back eddy which was hurling us up towards the lock but also pushing our stern to port, which threw us right out of alignment, but we couldn't go astern to slow because that would have swung our stern to starboard into the dredger thing, which had a steel chute projecting over the side about a metre above the water, at just the right height to wipe out our guard rails and perhaps damage the cabin side and windows. Hence we had to go for it, but in entering the chamber the 30 metre ship came in at an angle and jammed, known to us ex-UK narrow boaters as "cross winding." That put an indent in the previously very straight port side and moved the wardrobe in the forward cabin 1/2" closer to the bed! Annoying, but the dent remains as a reminder!

I'm glad you suffered no damage.

Balliol.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 16 Aug 2019 10:23 #108723

Balliol - Thank you for that. I'm glad I haven't been the only one to experience difficulty at that lock. I had almost exactly the same a few years ago. The current was very strong - my 50hp engine was pushing hard enough to make 10kph in still water, but we were doing, at best, 3 or4kph over the ground . When we got to the lock the cross currents and eddies make for interesting times, particularly when trying to get to the lock actuating pole seemingly hanging just a metre or so from the bank. Fortunately I didn't have to contend with any other poorly moored craft, as you had to. And consequently we managed to get into the lock without damage. But it was touch and go for a time, especially as one is gunning the engine in front of the lock only to suddenly enter relatively calm water just a few meters from the gates which results in entering the chamber at a less than sedate pace and requiring an emergency stop. After which captain and crew heave a collective sigh of relief!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Kerr

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 22:00 #108711

• Balliol Fowden
  • Away
Some twenty + years ago we were held up for a day or so at the bottom of the Nivernais by floods in the Loire (in high summer). When allowed through onto the river we messed up when entering the lock off the river into the port and cross winded, resulting in the only dent I have ever knowingly put in my ship. I put this down to a stronger cross eddy than I had allowed for, complicated by the presence (that day at least) of some sort of dredger, loosely moored right next to the lock entrance and swinging about in the current and threatening my guard rails. Now It might just have been totally my mistake, but I suspect that as the river swirls round that bend there probably is a strong cross or back eddy in the lock approach which tends to push you back out into the river, and perhaps draw you up towards the lock as you make that final approach into the lock. So perhaps beware if there is any amount of fresh on.

Balliol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Kerr

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 20:35 #108710

• Alan Kerr
  • Alan Kerr's Avatar Topic Author
Ha ha, well the wrong side is the Port if I am going to La Copine, or vice versa after I am finished at La Copine.
I could cope with a downpour delaying me a few days but having paid for the Port I would be upset if I couldnt get back :(

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 20:30 #108708

So, I take it, that the wrong side for you is the Port side. My experience is that there can be high flow rate in the Spring. I've been stuck there for a couple or three weeks before now, waiting for the flow to drop. Can't make an informed opinion about flow rates in the Autumn as I've not made the crossing at that time. However... given the paucity of rain this year I would be very surprised if there were so much rain between now and the end of October that would make it un-navigable. And even if it did rain so much to close the crossing it's only likely to be a flash affair that would close the crossing for a couple of days or so.

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 20:19 #108707

• Alan Kerr
Yes, I noticed them.
But do they often close them in the Autumn - October?
If so I might get stuck on the wrong side of the Loire.
But before that happens might the flow rate make navigation more difficult?

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 20:09 #108705

The lock into the river is closed when the flow is to strong.

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 19:32 #108703

• Alan Kerr
Thanks Cliff,
Yes, I crossed into the Port 10 days ago, carefully following the buoys.
But does it become too dangerous later in the year, or does the high flow rate & flood normally come later in the winter & spring?
They didnt build those tall bridges & high banks just for fun?

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 19:21 #108702

Alan. The problem of the Loire at Decize is usually too much water!! But I make three observations. I made this transit earlier this year (in mid May) and the level was a gnats under 1 metre ( as showing on the level gauge at the downstream end of the ecluse into the Loire - you can see it from the bridge). The considering it's a river the navigable channel in the Loire is not that deep - from memory about 2 mts - so don't e stray from the path.. And lastly if you look at www.vigicrues.gouv.fr and the graphic for the station at Decize you'll see that the level has been fairly constant for the last 30 days at about 1.3. Now... I don't know where exactly they measure or what their datum is but I would guesstimate that the channel is open and navigable to most craft upto 1.5mt. There is a Le boat base there after all and I've not heard that they have any problems, but to be sure I guess you could phone them... or the Capitainerie at Decize.

The Loire at Decize in the Autumn? 15 Aug 2019 18:15 #108697

• Alan Kerr
While we worry about low water levels this summer, may I ask what normally happens to the navigable section of the Loire at Decize, between the Port & Nivernais entrance - does it generally remain navigable?
I may take my boat around to La Copine layer in the year but the Loire clearly has the capacity for greater flow than at present.

• Page:
Moderators: Bob MarslandPete_Milne
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds