Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you don't like what you see click the Report button!
Read More...
Navigating and living on the waterways of Continental Europe and news of canal developments.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Air draft of 3.7mtrs

Air draft of 3.7mtrs 17 Aug 2019 14:31 #108750

This topic is more appropriate to the Waterways of Continental Europe, as SHAL is for warnings of navigational problems on the waterways, so I am moving it there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Feedback is always welcome here - or by PM (click on the speech-bubble at the left)

Air draft of 3.7mtrs 17 Aug 2019 14:06 #108749

Not a craft I know, so I did a quick search. I can understand your reluctance to sell a boat you've obviously had for quite a while, but for me it is not an ideal craft for canals. A lot of the smaller ones are pretty shallow, particularly towards the sides, so anything with twin engines always has one propellor at a disadvantage. I suspect too that the motors would not like running on tick-over for prolonged periods, but that's what you would need to do once you leave the deep rivers.
There would be plenty of waterways available to you in the north - Netherlands and Germany in particular - but not so much in France, and if by "south" you mean the Midi then bridges there would certainly rule out the boat you have.

Tam

Air draft of 3.7mtrs 17 Aug 2019 13:50 #108748

• Alan Harbutt
  • Alan Harbutt's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for your quick reply Tam.
I have a Carver 3607 with twin V8 diesels and her water draft is 3ft 6 inches (1.07mtrs).
Been thinking it's prob the wrong type of boat but we had her so long and I know every inch of her!

Alan

Air draft of 3.7mtrs 17 Aug 2019 13:39 #108747

Welcome to the DBA.

The quick simple answer is "Yes". You will be limited to the major rivers, as the small Freycinet canals of France have a bridge clearance of 3.5m and even that can be tight at times.

You don't say, but what sort of vessel is it you have? My guess is you might have problems with water depth too.

Tam

Air draft of 3.7mtrs 17 Aug 2019 13:34 #108746

• Alan Harbutt
  • Alan Harbutt's Avatar Topic Author
Hi guys I'm new here so please forgive if this has been covered loads of times!
My existing boat has an air draft of 3.7mtrs (if I drop the radar arch).
I'm hoping to retire in a couple of years and rather fancy exploring Europe on my boat via the canals, maybe heading south, and was wondering if I'm going to have a lot of problems with my air draft? If that's the case then I will put her up for sale and get something more suitable!
I have been trying to find out from a few books I bought but getting a little confused (age related no doubt) 😁
Many thanks in advance for your help

• Page:
Moderators: Bob MarslandPete_Milne
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds