Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you don't like what you see click the Report button!
Read More...
Navigating and living on the waterways of Continental Europe and news of canal developments.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 22 Aug 2019 17:23 #108917

Having a better half who has a US passport, her passport ONLY got stamped ( and stil gets stamped) arriving and departing, most of the time different countries. travel within the EU was Unrestricted .......HELL is there even any immigration at 'border crossings' inside the EU?? I have not seen any

So sorry Wren I don't know what haggle they have given you but there is NO need to stamp out and stamp in to the next EU ( Schengen) country
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pete_Milne

Please Log in to join the conversation.

www.jan-kees.us
jan-kees.blog

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 16:14 #108881

• Wren Montgomery
  • Wren Montgomery's Avatar Topic Author
(scolded in Switzerland, I mean to say. The italian officer was fairly pleased with himself, if I remember right.)

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 16:13 #108880

• Wren Montgomery
It will have been after 2008. I have also been scolded for allowing the italian immigration officer to put his stamp in the middle of the Swiss page, and for the fact that it was not parallel to the sides of the passport.

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 16:11 #108879

Pete_Milne wrote: Thanks for the correction Hans. Even us locals can't keep up! Even Wikipedia has a reminder: Did you know Switzerland joined S in 2008?
Any idea why Wren would have been 'told off', if after 2008?
P

Sometimes its because the official is a) just being "official and the Swiss can be really good at that and others it because b) he probably forgot about joining S or was "refusing to accept it" ;-)

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 16:05 #108878

• Pete_Milne
  • Away
Thanks for the correction Hans. Even us locals can't keep up! Even Wikipedia has a reminder: Did you know Switzerland joined S in 2008?
Any idea why Wren would have been 'told off', if after 2008?
P

Pete Milne, Quo Vadis , Europe

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 15:14 #108876

• Hans Egli
  • Away

Pete_Milne wrote: Switzerland of course isn't in Schengen, but it's hard to tell as a visitor!
P

Yes, Switzerland is a part of Schengen countries. You can visit Switzerland if you have Schengen visa since 2008

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 15:03 #108875

• Pete_Milne
  • Away
Switzerland of course isn't in Schengen, but it's hard to tell as a visitor!
P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sam Archer

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 14:23 #108874

• Wren Montgomery
As I understood it from the very firm Swiss immigration agent a few years ago, when I tried to leave Switzerland by plane having entered by night train from Germany (and the only entry stamp in my passport was the French one from St Pancras, because whereever I crossed that border, no one checke), it was my job as a non-EU citizen to get mysef stamped into the country.

Apparently there's a table in the Basel train station with a stamp on it...I pled extreme American ignorance, promised never to do it again, and they let me board my flight to London.

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 14:06 #108873

• Pete_Milne
  • Away
Part of the point of the Schengen Area (and visa) is that there are generally no border controls between its countries other than at airports. There are occasional checks on road and trains.
FoM within the whole EU is different, and as Wren says for EU citizens only.
Within Schengen, with a Schengen visa, I would not expect a non-EU citizen to need to check into each country. The UK is not in Schengen, hence a need to check in when travelling to/from the Netherlands.

I well remember the days of the Q flag and waiting the required two hours on arriving in the UK from 'abroad', with the customs at the end of the quay waiting to see if we'd dare step off before they arrived to measure the gin dregs in each bottle left over from a week or two sailing on the French coast. I never asked how long we'd have had to wait if we'd brought back a French passenger

Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wren Montgomery

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 12:27 #108871

• Wren Montgomery
Freedom of motion does not apply to non-EU citizens in quite the same way as EU citizens...

All of my travel has been via highly regulated pllanes & trains & ferries. I assume driving would be different (and indeed when I went from London to Spain via Gibraltar I got a bit of hassle on returning to the UK as I hadn't been stamped anywhere else...UK->Gibraltar not being a stamping occasion and the Gibraltar-Spain border being rather...porous.)

I have had to turn down previous delivery trips returning to the UK as the official advice for non-EU citizens arrrving at harbors without immigration offices is "put up a Q flag and wait for up to 2 weeks," and the boat owner wasn't really up for that.

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 12:13 #108870

Hi Wren - I don't know Rotterdam very much at all, but in the absence of a response from someone more familiar with the port I would suggest that the procedure is the same as any other port one enters as a foreign national (and Rotterdam is a huge port very familiar with international maritime traffic), i.e. go to the immigration office and get your passport stamped. To find the office, ask the Harbour Master or Harbour Control on the radio.
As an aside, I'm surprised to learn that your experience is to have to stamp out and in when travelling inter EU countries. This goes against the spirit of free movement, and indeed in my, again limited, experience of travelling by road between EU countries there have been no visible immigration control offices, so how this is achieved on the canals is a mystery.

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 11:55 #108869

• Wren Montgomery
Hi Pete -- my experience as a US citizen has been that while travelling, I need to be stamped into each and every member state, and out of the ones that require (or are at least more diigent about) exit stamps (the UK is IME the exception). Perhaps I've been unlucky in getting stopped any time I leave a non-UK member state for which I lack an extry stamp.

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 20 Aug 2019 11:34 #108867

Hi Wren, I understand at present you enter the EU when arriving in UK and exit the EU when leaving Netherlands. After Brexit I assume you will need to exit UK and enter the EU at Rotterdam. Until Brexit is sorted the exit and entry are still to be developed.

Dutch Entry stamp when arriing by water 19 Aug 2019 13:51 #108847

• Wren Montgomery
I am not sure this is the best section in which to post, but it seems the most likely. (please move if there's a better place.)

I (US citizen, UK IDL) have been invited to join a delivery trip from the UK to Rotterdam this fall. I would very much like to go if only for the practice crossing the Channel in something with a bit of a keel before doing it in our Humber barge (someday.)

Does anyone have any experience of how I would go about getting an entrance stamp so I can clear immigration on my way home to London? (Exit stamp from UK not required IME.)

I have previously been stopped on departure for not having an entrance stamp in Switzerland, and would prefer not to repeat the experience.

• Page:
Moderators: Bob MarslandPete_Milne
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds