Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
If you don't like what you see click the Report button or...
Read More...
Navigating and living on the waterways of Continental Europe and news of canal developments.
  • Page:

TOPIC: CLU Centre-Bourgogne.

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 05 Dec 2019 04:52 #111898

Richard Hyman wrote: Just to clarify, the report said there were no closure plans for Centre-Bourgogne specifically

A little late to the party for reasons a few of you will know but I want to express thanks to Richard for picking up the baton and running with it.

Paul H, our man for VNF Centre-Bourgogne, was stricken with the dreaded lughy just days before the meeting and nobody else was available to cover for him. Richard, who had attended C-B meetings in the summer received the minutes and diaporama (slide presentation) and posted swiftly with his précis.

It is good to see the positive views of Territorial Directors and the Director General of VNF regarding de-navigation. Let us continue to represent DBA members' views to VNF at these important liaison meetings. Far better there than from the proverbial armchair.

Bob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bob & Bobbie Marsland
MS La Chouette
In DBA Barge Register:
barges.org/members/bargeregister/bargeregister-search?assetaction=detail&vesselid=165

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 27 Nov 2019 16:29 #111738

• Richard Hyman
  • Richard Hyman's Avatar Topic Author
Just to clarify, the report said there were no closure plans for Centre-Bourgogne specifically

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 27 Nov 2019 12:22 #111736

This is excellent news Richard, thank you. I will post correspondingly re latest from Hauts de France

Lynn

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 21:09 #111718

Pete Clark wrote: "There are no plans for closing any part of the network."

This may need to be taken with a pinch of salt as it completely contradicts the detailed article by Pascal Gauthier earlier this year and as reported in the MoM of the CLU NE on 15 May this year (q.v.).

On the plus side, the (new) chairman of yesterday's CLU NE meeting quoted the president of VNF as saying he did not intend to preside over the denavigation of French waterways, a sentiment he then repeated for himself as regards the NE region.

So maybe a wind of change is blowing through VNF and the French government?

Pete Clark

It would be great if this was truly the case, but can the VNF guarantee that the French Government will continue subsidising the French canals in their entirety, and will they meet the ever increasing cost of doing so when climate change seems to be making this job ever more costly? Has anyone heard from those who hold the purse strings - the French Government? I doubt they'd be daft enough to guarantee any expenditure that isn't 100% essential. Could you imagine a UK government doing so?

Peter

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 17:17 #111712

"There are no plans for closing any part of the network."

This may need to be taken with a pinch of salt as it completely contradicts the detailed article by Pascal Gauthier earlier this year and as reported in the MoM of the CLU NE on 15 May this year (q.v.).

On the plus side, the (new) chairman of yesterday's CLU NE meeting quoted the president of VNF as saying he did not intend to preside over the denavigation of French waterways, a sentiment he then repeated for himself as regards the NE region.

So maybe a wind of change is blowing through VNF and the French government?

Pete Clark

Pete Clark
Nooit Gedacht

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 17:07 #111709

"By 2031 it is planned to have automatic locks on canals of Loing, Briare, Centre and Bourgogne up to Venarey."

I have just come back from the CLU NE region, where it was reported that from 2020 onward it is planned to introduce a new, single, all singing, all dancing 'telecommande' for the whole of France, which would of course require automation of the whole network. This has been being trialed by VNF on its own fleet during 2019.

I will report on the meeting in the next days, though from experience it will take longer for the VNF MoM to come through.

Pete Clark

Pete Clark
Nooit Gedacht

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 16:59 #111708

Thanks Richard, that's great.

Richard Hyman wrote: Thanks Chris, indeed I did this in too much of a hurry. You are right, 10 years from now, so presumably 2019-2020

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 16:57 #111707

• Richard Hyman
I was not at the meeting, simply received the minutes. . These just say 'as far as Venarey', so it is not clear which direction!

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 16:52 #111706

• Richard Hyman
Thanks Chris, indeed I did this in too much of a hurry. You are right, 10 years from now, so presumably 2019-2020

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 16:47 #111705

What was said about the chain of locks from Pouilly to Venerey? All the local talk is of them never being reopened. The Centre, Loing and Briare canals are already automated with the Loing only just being completed, let’s hope they don’t dream up a completely new system.

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 16:35 #111704

Richard

Many thanks for the update and what positive news after the recent gloom over barging in France in the future.

Can I question your point [3]. Reading the the French minutes, I think it should be "By 2031 it is planned to have automatic locks on canals of Loing, Briare, Centre and Bourgogne up to Venarey. This will cost €200 million. "

The minutes quote 'over the next ten years at a cost of €200m. Can you confirm please?

If it's OK with you I will add your brief update to the December Blue Flag once you have clarified point 3.

Richard Hyman wrote: I have just received the Minutes and slides from the meeting on 21 November. My brief summary of the key points:

CLU Centre-Bourgogne 21 November 2019

1] Legislation just adopted has provided increased resources: €250 million a year for VNF nationally, €35 million for this region. Priorities are water saving and modernisation of the network. There are no plans for closing any part of the network.

2] Closure of Yonne between locks 1 and 7 has been put back from 1 to 10 December.

3] By 2021, it is planned to have automatic locks on canals of Loing, Briare, Centre and Bourgogne up to Venarey. This will cost €200 million.

4] Next full CLU will be 3 March in Sancerre.

I do not know the details of the new law adopted a week or so ago, but maybe prospects for the canal network now seem rather more hopeful.

CLU Centre-Bourgogne. 26 Nov 2019 16:20 #111703

• Richard Hyman
I have just received the Minutes and slides from the meeting on 21 November. My brief summary of the key points:

CLU Centre-Bourgogne 21 November 2019

1] Legislation just adopted has provided increased resources: €250 million a year for VNF nationally, €35 million for this region. Priorities are water saving and modernisation of the network. There are no plans for closing any part of the network.

2] Closure of Yonne between locks 1 and 7 has been put back from 1 to 10 December.

3] By 2021, it is planned to have automatic locks on canals of Loing, Briare, Centre and Bourgogne up to Venarey. This will cost €200 million.

4] Next full CLU will be 3 March in Sancerre.

I do not know the details of the new law adopted a week or so ago, but maybe prospects for the canal network now seem rather more hopeful.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Marsland, Paul Hayes

• Page:
Moderators: Bob MarslandPete Milne
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds